Sunday, June 3, 2012

Prairie Winds commission

Proposal sketches for Prairie Winds Event Center
I'm hoping some of you may have missed seeing any kind of blog post these last few months. If you thought I gave up painting you'd be wrong. Actually I have been pretty  busy painting–I just haven't been blogging about it.

I'm having some regrets about that, because the process of my latest piece has been a pretty fascinating experience for me personally. Ultimately I decided not to blog about the process as I was doing it, because I wanted the finished piece to be a surprise. In hindsight I probably should have taken you along for the ride. Sorry. I'm hoping to document it on the blog in the coming weeks.

I am partially upset because as I look back now, my memories of timelines and dates have already faded somewhat. Hopefully you can forgive me for any details I may not get exactly right.

It all started late last fall when I was asked to be one of three artists to submit a proposal for a commissioned work of art to be placed on a large wall in the new Prairie Winds Event Center in Orange City, Iowa. We were given the architect's drawings of the space where the art was to be installed. We also saw renderings of the interior of the building which has a warm prairie lodge, almost craftsman feel to it. It is in contrast to the Dutch details of the exterior of the building.

Architect's rendering of the Prairie Winds Event Center
All three artists presented their proposals to an art selection committee. That committee then made their recommendation to the full Event Center board, and I was fortunate to be selected for the commission! I was honored to be asked.

I took quite a few photos as this progressed, so I'll be sharing those too. I hope you're all doing well. It is really starting to feel like summer.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great subject for a commission! I can't wait to see the finished piece!

    ReplyDelete