Monday, September 12, 2011

Dad's Profile


Dad's Profile | 6"x6" | oil on hardboard
My Dad is always a good subject for a portrait. He has had a big white beard for many years and turns the heads of a lot of small children at Christmas time.


I remember drawing his profile when I was a kid. I don't know if that drawing is still around or not. There is something I like about a profile. The window light streaming into the room really worked perfectly in adding dimension to his face. This was based on a photo I took after a Sunday dinner at my brother Bruces' house.

2 comments:

  1. Really cool John! There is no 'top 10' for paintings but if there was, this would be on it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow John, this is very powerful painting!! So confidently done, I love it.

    ReplyDelete