Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Slice of Tuscan Roma


A Slice of Tuscan Roma | 5"x7" | oil on hardboard

I've been thinking about painting a slice of Pizza Ranch pizza for a long time, and when fellow artist and friend, Darren Mauer, recently painted a slice of El Fredos pizza (a Sioux City landmark) it got me motivated to tackle the subject.

I shot a few snapshots of this slice a few weeks ago one night when we were having dinner at the Ranch. The Tuscan Roma pizza is a simple classic that combines tomato and spinach toppings with an alfredo sauce on a crispy thin crust. It's one of my favorites. The lighting was poor for shooting photos, and it made using the reference photo a little more difficult.

I do wonder if a slice of pepperoni may have been easier to paint.

Interested in buying this painting?

4 comments:

  1. Very nice painting. I love that pizza also. For everyone that doesn't already know, the Pizza Ranch chain of restaurants is a great place to eat. They are family friendly, have great prices, an awesome buffet, and when you walk into the restaurant you are asked what type of pizza you would like if it isn't already on the buffet. That is beyond fantastic customer service. I love the chicken also. Thanks for posting the pizza slice my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi Van Der WeideJune 10, 2011 at 6:54 AM

    This is great, John! It made my mouth water when I saw it - and pizza wouldn't normally sound good to me this early in the morning!! The piece is wonderful! I'd love to see you paint a pepperoni slice - maybe make a series!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (YUM!) The tomato slices look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's soooo real! I love this picture! Congratulations :) Greetings from Poland. Justyna

    ReplyDelete