Monday, November 29, 2010

Red Pistol


Red Pistol | 5"x7" | oil on hardboard

I enjoy going to auctions occasionally, and this old red tin pistol was in a box of "treasures" I bought at a sale in Ireton quite some time ago. It is metal and looks like it is probably from the 1950s. It says that it is a water pistol, but I sure can't figure out where you put water in the thing.

I like the sleek styling, and thinking about the fun that some young boy had playing with it. I'm guessing this gun came out after the traditional western guns with holsters and if you had this sleek sidearm, you were definitely the cool kid on the block. Looks like it got played with a lot.

The strong sunlight cast a hard shadow, and I liked how the shadow echoed the shape of the gun. I have a couple other small paintings started as well. It sure feels good to be in the studio.

Interested in buying Red Pistol

No comments:

Post a Comment