Thursday, September 11, 2008

Shades of Gray



I painted this last night and thought I'd get it posted tonight. This is the Carnes elevator. Carnes is a couple houses, and the elevator. My original thought was that I liked the composition of the photo, but that the shot was gray and dismal. I figured I'd punch up the color. Then as I began painting, I began to change my mind.

I have an affection for gray. I think it comes from my Grandfather. He was a gray lover. An oil painter too, but when he'd paint objects (like for instance a chair, bench or a shelf) he often used gray. His favorite color.

So anyway, I decided that I'd use the shades of gray, increase the contrast in the values of gray and then punched up just the green at the bottom. I think I like that.

It's going to be tough to post some of the things I paint for this. In my mind I want to work at it, refine it. Fuss over it. That's not what I want to do here. Well, at least not all the time.

Inquire about purchasing - $100

3 comments:

  1. I love the looming clouds in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only is this beautiful, but I see something very similar to where I live - especially in spring! Such emotion, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you left the color as is--so rich!

    ReplyDelete